1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring a 4x10 Cabinet from scratch - need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman08, Apr 21, 2006.

1. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Hello,

I recently purchased an empty 4x10 that was originally an 8 ohm cab, but the most recent owner had loaded it with four 16 ohm speakers and re-wired to make it a 4 ohm cabinet.

The cab has been gutted except for 2 black wires and 2 red wires coming in from the input jack plate. The two black wires are wired to the same area and the two red wires are wired to a different area. I recently purchased four 8 ohm speakers and I want to wire this back to make an 8 ohm cabinet.

I don't know anything about electronics, electricity, or wiring so I was hoping someone out there could give me very specific instructions on how to wire this up correctly so that it's an 8 ohm cab and so that there are no phase issues with the speakers. I have seen wiring diagrams and schematics on the internet, but I don't understand them.

From what I've read, I need to do a combination of parallel and series wiring to accomplish this, somehow wiring two speakers together one way and then the the other two the same way and then somehow connecting them a different way, only I have no idea what to do.

What I'm hoping for when I ask for very specific instructions is someone to say:
    "1. Take black wire one from input jack and wire it to ____ post (positive or negative) on speaker X (1-4)
    2. Take black wire two from input jack and wire it to ___ post on speaker ____
    3. Take red wire from input jack and wire it to ____"
    4. Etc. Going wire-by-wire throughout the cab until it's all finished.

Even if someone opened their 8 ohm 4 x 10 and told me exactly where each wire went to and from, that may help me too.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply with thorough instructions.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    4ps-spkr.

That is the best way I have found.

3. or

4sp-spkr.

You choose. I can't find a reliable answer, as to which is better.

4. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Hello and thank you to those who responded so far. If anyone else wants to contribute, more thoughts would be welcome. Otherwise, I'll work with these diagrams.

Thanks again.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think the method I posted is a bit better, but not just because I said it. If you were to ever blow one speaker in the one ulrich posted, you take out 2 speakers. In the method I posted, if you blow one speaker, you still have 3 speakers.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This diagram shows your connections for the input jack
    and an output jack so you can chain another cab in the
    loop if you want.

7. # 3 and #4 both look good. I would probably go for #4 just to save time in wiring. Let me ask you, do you have much experience in soldering? It is a tricky art. One thing to be careful of. Watch those magnets! It is easy to fumble the soldering iron, the solder or the leads when messing around back there and burn yourself! Also be sure that you dont drip solder into th' speaker structures! I will often use a piece of cardboard or even tape a piece of newsprint to deflect any stray spatter. Use silver bearing solder if possible, lead free if you can find it. Use heavy guage wire like 12 or at least 14. Also use a small clip-on heatsink on the individual speaker leads to keep from heating the VC leads up too much. It is better to use a 45watt gun briefly then a 20 watter for a long time. If you arent comfortable doing all this find a guy who is and buy him a 6 pack for his trouble.

8. bassman08

bassman08

Jan 26, 2005
    California
    Thanks Thor and Calaverasgrande for the additional info. I've been so busy, I haven't had a chance to get back to this project yet. I've soldered pickups and pots and a couple of times, but that's about it, so I definitely like the pointers about keeping solder off the speakers. I'll use some cardboard or something.

Thanks again.