Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring a bass humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 7, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    to wire a bass humbucker what do i need in terms of pots, would a standard wiring kit for a jazz bass bought off stewmac.com do me? is it a lot harder to wire for somebody with no experience in this area or will i get a diagram with the p/ups. im thinkin about getting emg select humbuckers for my secondary bass which im in the process of doing up but seen as though its **** anyway im not wasting loads of money on great p/ups.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, should be no problem. Some people recommend using 500K pots for humbuckers and 250K for single coils, but it's really a matter of personal taste. 500K pots will give you a brighter sound.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive :)
    You should get a wiring diagram with the EMG's, EMG are generally very good about that. But I wouldn't say it's inherently more difficult to wire humbuckers than single coils. It can get slightly more complicated if you have four wire humbuckers vs two wire humbuckers, and more complicated still if you want to wire in series/parallel switch. But for a straightforward V/V/T (volume/volume/tone) installation, you should be fine.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    That kit would work, but the general rule of thumb is that you use 500k pots with humbuckers and 250k with single coils, and that kit comes with 250k pots. 500k pots let more highs through, 250k less (the line of thought being a 250k would make a humbucker too dark and a 500k make a singlecoil too harsh.)

It's all a matter of personal taste though and how you like your tone.

I would imagine wiring diagrams would come with the pups, every pickup I've ever bought came with them. There are also diagrams on StewMac and Seymour Duncan's site (http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics.shtml)

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    graet, thanks for your help, my brother studied electronics for a year in college before deciding to change course so he should be able to help me if i start going wrong and anyway if thing go really bad i can rope of his friends in to help me because he has a degree in electronics and is providing me with the soldering iron, that is what i use right?