1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring a Battery Killswitch with 18v EMGs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BackToBassics90, Oct 28, 2013.

1. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Jan 28, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here but maybe once since any question I have is usually already answered. However, I couldn't find a wiring diagram for adding a kill switch correctly for cutting off the battery so I don't need to unplug the cable. I have a BTS preamp with Active EMG DC and CS wired with 18v. I figure a switch on one of the batteries cables would be sufficient, but I read about a pop coming from that way of wiring. I also read a capacitor could fix this, but I have no idea how I would go about wiring this in. I'm pretty new to this so please Explain Like I'm 5.

Any ideas?

Much Appreciated!

2. There is no way to avoid loud pops. This really isn't a good idea, for that reason.

Concerning capacitors, that makes popping worse when you are switching a signal path. Resistors are the traditional way of reducing popping. This is a power supply switching, however, not a signal path switching, so it doesn't help.

The negative terminal of the battery goes to the common terminal of the switch, and the ring terminal of the jack goes to the normally closed throw. SPST is all that is needed.

3. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Jan 28, 2013

Ok the switch I have doesn't state that it's SPST, but from the ones I've seen online it looks the same. There are two terminals, one in the middle and one on the side. I'm not sure what you mean by the "common" terminal, but I'm thinking you mean the one in the middle that the switch might be touching the whole time? I'm really new to this so a bit more elaboration is greatly appreciated.

4. If you are using a SPST switch, then the terminals don't matter.
    For DPDT and others, commons are typically in the middle.

5. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Jan 28, 2013
    Ok I think I'm getting a clearer picture. The switch has a labelled ON/OFF on it. So I just need to connect the terminal that closes the circuit to the negative of the battery, and the other terminal to the ring terminal of the jack?

Did I decipher that correctly? Thanks so much for helping!

6. BackToBassics90

BackToBassics90

Jan 28, 2013
    Well realized what you meant by everything now. Is there ANY way to to minimize the pop you think? I appreciate everything, thanks!

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas