Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring a Carvin J-Bass Humbucker pickup into my Jazz Bass, I need help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 1, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey,
    I'm trying to wire this Carvin Humbucker JBass pickup into my standard jazz (which already has pickups). The Carvin pickup has a single thick wire coming out of it, with 3 wires coming out of that. there's a thick black one, and then a skinnier black one next to a skinny red wire. Then my Jazz Bass has only 2 wires coming out of the bridge pickup, a black one and a yellow one, which are soldered on 2 of the pots (the bridge volume and the tone control). My question is, which wires go to which pot?? and why does this Carvin pickup have 3 wires and not just 2??
    Any help please?
    Thanks
    Chris

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That diagram is for their humbucking guitar pickups.

For the bass pickup, the thick black wire is the shield for the cable, and should be connected directly to a ground (for instance the copper shielding inside the cavity, if it's there). The red wire is the "hot" output wire, and should go to the neck volume pot. The thin black wire is the "ground" output from the pickup, and probably just needs to go to a ground as well (if you had active electronics that might be different).

3. Whoops! :)

4. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    i think i said this wrong, but let me say how the setup was when i took off the plate. there was the yellow and black wires that were coming from the bridge pickup and BOTH went to the bridge volume pot, one was soldered onto each side. then with the neck pickup there was the same setup - yellow and black on each side of the neck volume pot...and then there was a ground wire (im assuming) that went from the tone pot thru the body to underneath the actual bridge. and of course 2 white wires (maybe 3...i forget) that connected all of the pots together.
    so if i connected the red wire to the neck pickup, what would be going to the bridge volume?? i had it wired before (but had to undo it so i could copper tape the cavity) the thin red and thin black wires connected to the bridge volume pot - one on each side. and then the thicker black wire to the tone control pot where the other wire that went to the bridge was connected.
    would that be right??

so confusing!! :)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Uh, confused. Don't worry about it though: just wire the Carvin pickup like the old one was, except it's red instead of yellow (black is the same). Then connect the shield to ground. I think that should do it.