1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wiring a jack with emgs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfkeller, May 12, 2015.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I have emgs actives and a tone pump pre. The pre is attached to a barrel jack (stereo) for the hot wire. I have to change the jack to a top mount style which I have (also stereo). I'm not sure as to which wire goes to which lug. 3 wires, (hot. Ground, battery ) and 3 wires, which wire goes to which lug and how do I know what lug is which?

2. What kind of jack do you have?

The signal should go to the tip terminal, the battery's negative should go to the ring terminal, and the sleeve terminal should be the ground.

3. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I post a pic, don't know what brand it is

4. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Bump

5. I don't see any pics.

6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Actually seems I have 2

Attached Files:

7. Those are open-frame panel-mount jacks. You identify the terminals by visual inspection. Once you have identified the tip, ring, and sleeve, refer to post #2 for wiring.

8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    OK, so how do I know which is ring and sleeve? I know I sound like a dumb ass here but I've never felt with a female TRS before. Its obvious on the male plug

9. The tip is the longer prong, and the ring is the shorter prong. The sleeve is simply the sleeve.

10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    OK thanks bro, that is all I needed. Appreciate ut