Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring a killswitch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Jul 12, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hello

im not sure if this goes here but ..... i want to wire a mini toggle for a kill switch. do i solder the wires going to the input jack to one of the legs or both of the toggle with. and i have to have a wire going from the switch to the input jack how do i do this can i jsut solder a wire from there to the input jack. will this work here is the switch i will be using

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=275-612

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think you're going to want to use a SPDT on/on toggle and pretty sure you're going to have to wire a cap in there somewhere to avoid popping.

What bass are you doing this to?

3. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    well i got it wired in my dad helped me. but when the switch is on the pickups dont work and it just buzz's like when your touching the top of a plugged in cable. but when its off it works like normal. did i use the wrong switch ?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. Like I said you want to use a SPDT on/on switch, rather than an on/off which just leaves an open circuit to hum.

5. Sounds like you wired it to open the circuit up to kill it. By doing that you are making the guitar cable like an antenna to 60 hz noise in the air. What you need to do is put the wiring back like it was, then wire the switch across the jack so when OPEN it is out of the circuit and plays normal and when CLOSED it shorts across the jack to ground the signal totally.
    Then you will have NO noise what so ever.
    Gary