Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring a P-pickup in parallell?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jock, May 13, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can anyone help me make this mod to my P-bass as I want to know how it will sound.
    I´m not that good at reading wiringdiagrams but I know how to solder.
    What shold be changed in this pic to make it parallell?
    [​IMG]

2. i don't want to sound bad, but I think to have pick-ups in parrallel you need to have 2 pick-ups one pick-up can't be in another form than series

I might be wrong tho

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yup, you're wrong. :)

To do it,

Cut the wire connecting the two halves of the pickup. Solder the bit from the "left" half in the pic to the white/yellow wire. Solder the bit from the "right" half in the pic to the "black" wire.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    And be prepared to rewire it back to series when you discover that you don't like the sound. :D

Out of curiousity, is this an experiment for you or have you heard other basses wired in parallel that you liked? Personally, I prefer the series sound, but I know there are people who like the parallel sound.

5. yup but i thought he meant by not separating the 2 parts of the pick-up

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    This is just out of curiousity. I´ve heard that you get more mids and less boom this way.
    I´ll probably go back to the series wiring again.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, generally series wiring increase the mids. Parallel has more low end and more treble.

I'm not sure about "boom" though. Parallel might reduce the low-mids, which could be what you mean by that.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m not sure what I meen myself. :D
    But I´ll give the mod a try to see what it sound like.

9. Link to Wiring Notes

The above is how I wired my MIM P for series/parallel. The parallel tone is noticeably quieter, very clear and even. I do not notice it being honky or middy. The pickup is the DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle.

Link to Photo

This link is a closeup of the Radio Shack mini-toggle I used for the wiring.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's pretty useless on a P pickup.
    The only thing it changes it that you get less output and more hum when parallel, but no real sound change.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Why do you get more hum?