1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wiring a p pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ludwig109, Apr 9, 2006.

1. i want to replace some pickups on a crappy encore starter bass i have new ones but dont know how to wire them.
    the old ones have one black and one white wire on each of them connecting so one white and one black wire go to the volume pot.

on the new ones they have one yellow and one brown wire, one green and one white wire. the white and brown are connected together(as i was told this was correct) so i have a green and a yellow wire to go to the volume.

which way round should they go.
    any help would be great.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Run the green to ground, and the yellow to your volume pot, and you'll be good to go...

- georgestrings

3. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    how safe is it do it your self becausei also go new pickups but was going to take to it to the shop to get them swapped. Plus i need a new capicator and volume pot

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Those things are easy to change out, assuming you know how to solder. Pickups come with wiring diagrams (at least the ones I buy do), and if not, there are wiring diagrams available online. I just swapped out the cheezy pickups on an old bass for a set of "Select" ('designed by EMG' but made in Korea). The hot lead goes to the middle connection on the pot, the ground gets soldered to the pot case. With a good hot iron it just takes a second for a good connection.

5. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    which is the ground and which is the volume? untitled.
    on the pickups there is a green wire and a red wire. The pic show where the pickups are currently connected to about. the red one is under the pot