wiring a passive bass with 4 knobs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I have a passive bass with 2 soapbar pickups. There are 2 independent volume knobs and 2 independent tone knobs for each pickup. Is there a way to maybe rewire the bass with a master volume, blend pot and possibly bass and treble....basically using all four knobs but trying to get more tonal variety. Anyone out there know if this could be done? Do you have or know where I can get these schematics? Just curious. Thanks!!!!
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, it could be done.

But you'd have to put in a preamp to get bass and treble controls.

You can't add sound in a passive circuit, only cut it. Your tone controls perform a variable roll off of high frequencies, so when tone is at 10 it's effectively 'off' and there is no roll off.

If you don't want to go the active preamp route, you could consider getting Villex pickups which would allow you to get a mid cut control as well as the usual tone cut control.
  3. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    http://www.guitarnucleus.com/ has a ton of good info. Try going to "schematics" then look for "Guitar and Bass wiring".

One option you have for passive is series/parallel switching for one or both pickups. You can do this by substituting a volume pot (or both, if you want the option for either pickup) with a DPDT push/pull pot(s) assuming your pickups are double coil with four leads.
    E-mail me if you want and I'll be glad to help you as much as I can.