Wiring a PJ config w/stack pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CDweller, Mar 7, 2010.

1. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I am having a bass built with a PJ pup config. The body is a Precision, so there are only two knob holes available in a standard pickguard if the third hole of the pickguard is used for the jack, which is my preference.

Can one of the two pots be a stackpot, with the stackpot's volume knob controlling volume on one of the pups, and the stackpot's tone knob controlling tone for both pickups? This way, I'll able to use a standard Precision pickguard with its standard two knob configuration, with one of the knobs being the volume on one pup, and the stackpot controlling the volume of the other pup, and tone for both pups.

Anyone know if this would work?

2. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
  3. That's pretty useless because two tone controls will interact with each other at equal volumes.

4. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, the original jbasses had two stackpots, with individual tone controls for each pickup on each stack. I'm looking to simplify that to just one stackpot for the bridge volume, with that pot's tone control covering both pups. I'd have an individual volume contol for the neck pup. Basically, I'd have a standard jazz bass control system, with the tone control for both pups colocated on the bridge volume control. This way I could use a standard three-hole pickguard for the Precision body.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021