1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring a Squier VM Jaguar Special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Guys, I bit off more than I could chew. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bass? I came up empty handed with a search. Or even a picture off one already wired would be awesome. I am learning basic wiring on this bass - it's more complicated than I thought.

If a thread like this already exists, please let me know. Thanks!!!

2. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Oh, and this is not the stacked pot version - it's the version with cheap preamp and bass boost. Thanks

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have one and the bass boost went bad and I replaced it with another preamp so I am pretty familiar with it's wiring. what do you need to know

4. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Long story, but it is currently in pieces. The wiring between pots it mostly still there, there were no pickups that came with it. I am dropping in some older MIM Fenders in it. The wires were snipped in weird places.

Honestly when I swap pickups I basically copy exactly how it is stock and just change what I need to. Admittedly I don't quite understand what I am doing from a technical perspective but I am handy with the soldering part. So I am out kicking my coverage on this project so to speak and would greatly benefit from some instructions. They seem to be the white unicorn of the Internet though.

I might just bite the bullet and take it to my tech but I wanted to try it in my own.

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Connect the black wire to it's volume pot's case (carefully you want to get on and off with soldering iron as quickly as possible. Connect the signal wire (white or yellow maybe) to the center lug of it's volume pot. That should be it. be sure you remove the wire that has been snipped on the pot first by holding on to it with a pair of need nose pliers, then heat the lug while pulling on the wire snippet. Again do this as quickly as possible. Now do the same to the bridge pickup. Note: if the J pickup sounds anemic and weak try reversing the ground and signal wires on that J pickup only. That should do it. If you have problems PM me.