Wiring a SWR Goliath Jr II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muhwi, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    Hiya all

Pretty soon i'll get a Goliath Jr II. I'm all excited, but one thing's bothering me: the cab's 4 Ohm (got it really cheap, had no time to think :rolleyes: ). I've got a tube Marshall JMP (vintage, don't wanna blow it) that can't handle anything below 4 Ohm and I was wonderin' if I could somehow use the Goliath with my 4x12" Marshall (8 Ohm). Using them at the same time would produce a load of 2.67 Ohm, enough to blow the crap out of my JMP. If I wired the speakers of the Goliath in series I would get a load of 16 Ohm, right?. That with the 412 would give me 5.33 Ohm and all would be quite well. Has anyone ever re-wired a Goliath? Since there is a 8 Ohm version of the cab available could it be possible to make the 4 Ohm Goliath into a 8 (which would be the best solution)? Just changing the whole cab would be kinda difficult since here in Finland those cabs are really rare..
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You can rewire the cab to get 16 ohms, but when you use our 8 ohm cab with it, the Jr will see much less of the power and will likely sound quiet in comparion to the other cab.

The only way you can change your 4 ohm Jr to 8 ohms is if you swap out the speakers with replacements.
  3. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    Are you sure? After all it's a 100w tube amp, the power won't scale as it does with solid state amps, it's the same 100w for 16 Ohm or 4 Ohm --> the 8 Ohm load won't pump out any more power than the 16 Ohm. Or is my logic failing me? If it is I must apologize, I really lack experience when it comes to Ohms and stuff like that.
  4. Tube or not, it's still and electrical circuit, the same rules apply in that sense. What changes with tube power sections is the power available at different loads... or more likely, what doesn't change.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    One of my Goliath II Jr's that I bought used had 16 ohm emenence Delta's in it. It still sounded good just a bit less loud and not as much low end as my other Jr.with the Pas 10's in it. I eventually bought New Pas 10's to put in it and it sounds great. I'd sell you the deltas that came with that cabinet, just not sure if it would be worth it after paying shipping and all you might as well buy new from someone nearer to you.