1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring a tone switch...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by manchild, Dec 8, 2011.

1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Can someone help with a wiring schematic for a p bass pup into volume pot then out, and into the following on-on-on switch:

Position 1: 250k resistor and 0.47uf cap (in parallel)

Position 2: 1 cap in parallel and 1 in series

Position 3: 1 cap in parallel and 1 in series

Out to jack.

Been trying to figure it out but cant get to the end of it...

Many thanks to anyone who can help out :)

2. tstone

tstone

Nov 16, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Your question is unclear.

Your description of positions 2 and 3 are the same.

One cap in parallel with what? One cap in series with what?

3. +1.

4. OP: If you don't know HOW to achieve WHATever it is you want to achive, it may be better if you just describe WHAT you want to achieve and leave the HOW to those who do know.

5. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Correct, but they will be of different values.

Parallel/series to the volume or jack - I want to take out the tone control and replace it with my switch that will give tone knob on 10 sound in position 1 (250k + 0.47uf cap in parallel -as it would be in a non knob set up)

Position 2 would create a bandpass filter using 2 caps, 1 in series and 1 in parallel,

Position 3 same as position 2 but using different values to create a different sounding bandpass.

My plan is to have a switch simular to a stellartone that only uses caps to create a bandpass filter, or their case a lowpass.

Does that make sense guys? Its hard to explain it in words :(

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    With a passive setup you can use caps to do low pass and high pass. You can sort of get a bandpass thing happening, but you are going to lose a lot of output.

Remember that you will be removing low end and high end, which wont leave you with much. A band pass made this way wont have a sharp peak. It also wont boost.

You might prefer the decade switch idea more (like the Steller) because even though it's a low pass function, you do get a resonant boost at the cutoff frequency.

7. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thank for the advice SGD, How does the Steller differ from what i want to do? What do you mean by a decade switch?

Anyone know how i would wire this up (pos 2 & 3 for a band pass set up)?

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    A decade switch is a bunch of different caps wired to a rotary switch. That's what the Stellertone is. So it just switches caps in parallel to the pickup.

You need a cap in series, to roll off low end, and then a cap in parallel, to roll off high end. You need to choose the values to get the frequency and width that you want.

I'm curious what you are trying to accomplish with that circuit.

9. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Ah right yeah - what i want is a 2 stage treble cut (in the same style as the stellertone) but also 'clip' the lowest bass frequencies so that there is a very mid orientated sound with it.

Maybe i should consider 125k resistors for the bass cut so that it is not so drastic?

I know the caps i want to use and the sound it will produce, but just dont understand the wiring enough, to know how to put it together.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

10. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Can anyone give me a 3 way switch on-on-on schematic to replace the tone pot?

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You want one position to be with no tone cap, right?

Then you want a SPDT switch with a center off, and not an on-on-on. Then the bass cut thing will have to be a second switch.

12. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Because im removing the tone pot and replacing it with this switch the first position will need to be ON with the cap and res in paralell with the volume control. Do you know where i can find a schematic that would show me how to wire it from the volume pot to the switch then out to jack?