Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring active peavy p pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a set of peavy p/j active pickups from a "Foundation S" bass I am going to make the p pickup into a pickup for my upright, Where can I find a diagram for wiring 1 active pickup? The pickup has 2 wires, like a passive pickup (I 've wired a couple of different passive p's but never a an active one) so where do I attach the battery?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not familiar with that pup I've never heard of an active pup with two leads - there's always a third red wire that goes to the battery clip. You can either stick a meter on them and measure the resistance - which won't amount to much if they're active, or temporarily wire one pup to a jack only, turned down amp volume, plug up and fire up, and you shouldn't get much sound tapping on it with an allen wrench if it's active. If you get pronounced response tapping or the meter show's normal resistance - you don't have active pups. To my knowledge, foundations came in a PJ config but none had actives.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'll try the tapping thing. I got the wiring parts, and there was a battery plug included, but no apparent preamp, so I am assuming it is an active pickup, I'll take a closer look.

4. sinbad

sinbad

Jul 16, 2005
    Have a look at my thread on the reflex reds, maybe you have the same situation.
    sinbad

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'll try hooking them up as passive and running it through an offboard preamp. Much appreciated on the advice.
    Karl