1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Aguilar DCB pickups with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rickybstewart, Dec 30, 2016.

1. rickybstewart

rickybstewart

Nov 29, 2016
    Hi all,

In my SR506 I've installed a custom preamp (Aguilar OBP-3), but the stock pickups (Bartolini MK-1's) are still there. I've got a GC gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I'm trying to see if it's feasible to replace the stock pickups with Aguilar DCB's.

Currently my bass is setup with a volume knob, a blend knob, and 3 knobs for the preamp's EQ. The volume knob has a preamp bypass switch so I can go passive on the bass, and the mid EQ knob is switchable too.

I'm working with these diagrams:

http://www.bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4-Conductor-Wiring-Diagram.pdf
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/dcb_pickups_wiring_diagram.pdf

The wiring on the current pups looks basically similar to the blend pot wiring in the first diagram. (I didn't wire the pre.) The second diagram doesn't describe how to hook the two pickups to a blend pot, unfortunately.

A couple questions:

1. Are there any diagrams out there showing how to hook up the Aguilar DCB's as volume-blend instead of volume-volume-tone?
    2. Is it possible with the DCB's to retain my current setup (volume, blend, 3 EQ's) or am I going to have to move some stuff around?
    3. Ballpark, is doing the conversion going to be a ton of work? I'm OK with a bit of soldering but if this is going to be too complicated I might as well just have a professional do this.

2. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Aguilar will help you if you contact them.
    Bartolini will reply but it's not always helpful.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Aguilars hook up exactly like the Barts. Hot to the blend pot middle tab, grounds to ground.