1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring an Eden 410XLT as a 3x10 (Blown Speaker)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murphbass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Murphbass

Murphbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an Eden 410XLT that needs one speaker reconed. I need to gig on this amp while the speaker gets fixed. It's an 8ohm cab, so I'm assuming it's wired series/parallel with 8 ohm drivers. I have a QSC RMX 850 amp which will drive a 2 ohm load (though, apparently not in bridge mode).

Should I wire (2) drivers in series, and then put those (2) in parallel with the remaining speaker?

Thanks!

2. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't think you want to run one of the tens at double the power of the other two. I'd wire two together and run it as a 2x10. Pick two vertical if possible. Be sure to tell us how it sounds compared with all 4.

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    The nonworking cone or cones will become passive radiators, altering the tuning frequency of the cab. I'm not sure whether the frequency would go up or down, but if it goes up, you could potentially blow the remaining speakers by applying much power at frequencies below the cab's altered tuning frequency.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Wiring all 3 in parallel yeilds 2.667 ohms total impedance. So you could do that and run it from one side of your power amp.

HOWEVER - be careful, as your cabinet is now technically much larger, considering it is only accomodating 3 speakers instead of 4. The relative tuning will be much lower, and as such the speakers might have a lot easier time farting out. Pay close attention to your sound, and if you start to hear distortion, back off the volume.

5. If the speaker is out of the cabinet being reconed there'll be a huge hole in the cabinet. You will destroy all of your other speakers. Even if you blocked the hole and wired the other speakers in parallel, as has been suggested, the cabinets tuning will be way out and again you risk damage to the remaining drivers.

Why not just rent a cabinet for the gig? Much better and cheaper than re-coning all four of your speakers!

Paul