Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring an XLR Input to my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bubbles, Jan 20, 2004.

1. I have a EA Wizzy200 combo amp and abosolutly love it, But i also have an old SWR Basic Black,
    Now, the EA has two XLR outputs on the back that are meant to be connected to a powered extention cab. I was wondering if i could wire a XLR input into my basic black (but still be albe to used it seperatly if i need to) so i could use it as an extention cab instead of spending $1500 bucks on a wizzy extention. Or would it be better to go XLR-DI-1/4inch?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I sincerely hope you are talking about bypassing the preamp section on the second amp, else you will likely fry its input section . . .

You should take it to an experienced amp tech and explain your intentions, to make sure you not only don't destroy both amps, but don't electrecute yourself in the process.

3. Sell basic black combo, put that money as a downpayment on a EA extension cab. It sounds like you have decent gear and can afford it, so continue in this process.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Get an XLR to 1/4" adapter at your local music store or Radio Shack.

Plug the 1/4" into the effects return of the Basic Black.

Set the effects blend fully CW than adjust master volume so that the volume of the two amps are in balance.