1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Bartolini Quad Coils

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by convivial1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. convivial1

convivial1

Oct 3, 2008
    Bartolini has really poor documentation. I would like to put each of my Bart XXM45C Quad Coil Humbuckers on a three way switch that will allow me to chose form Humbucker, Single Coil, or split (p or inverted p-style).

They will be going to the blend know on my Bart HR 5.4 wiring harness.

Has anyone done this? How do I wire it? Any diagrams?

Thanks in advance.

2. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    You should have this: http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/bartolini-switch-wiring-dual-coil.pdf with your pickups.

I know it says 'for dual coil pickups' but I have been assured it is also for quad coil pickups. It is what I used to have my xxm56c's set up with a three way switch for each pickup to run series/single coil/parallel.

Originaly had mine set up with an aggie obp-3 but now am running them totally passive and they sound much, much better. Love mine. Single coil and series sounds best to my ears.

3. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I may be wrong but I think it's impossible for quad coils to have a true single coil function. If I understand correctly, a quad coil pickup is almost like a P and reverse P pickup in one. The closest you could get would be selecting all inner coils / outer coils for each pickup which would be more like a hum cancelling J pickup than a true single coil.

I have Bartolini dual coils and when you select single coil mode it will hum if you solo a pickup. Quad coils should never hum as there are always at least two coils in operation per pickup.

I may be wrong though, maybe someone with more expertise will come along.

4. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Hate to be the one to burst your bubble but... pop!
    I get single coil hum on either of my pickups when it is in single coil mode once it gets to 8 or past on the volume. But s/c sounds so nice...