1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Bartolini w/ a Fender Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by telebassman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. telebassman

telebassman

May 20, 2008
    WV
    Any words of advice in the wiring of two Bartolini 57CBJD pickups to my existing Fender Preamp? Or is it just a matter of soldering the same connections with new pickups?

Has anyone tried this before? If so, what did you think?

Thanks!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just replace the existing pickups with the new ones. You might discover how bad the Fender preamp is then. ;)

3. telebassman

telebassman

May 20, 2008
    WV
    Is it that bad?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I hear it's noisy.

5. telebassman

telebassman

May 20, 2008
    WV
    Noisy huh? Scary. Anyone have first hand experience or advice on recommending a decent pre?

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    What model is the fender bass?

7. I can only speak for the preamp they stuffed into the 2011 American Deluxe... but it's gosh-darned fantastic, to my ears.

Really.

It was, for me, the 'Aha!' moment, when I figured out why everybody's been playing active all this time. It's one of the better preamps I've used; although, to be fair, the new Am. Deluxes are great basses with great pickups, so that might have something to do with it.

(The only reason I'm swapping mine out is the aesthetics of the knobs, TBH - if Fender had used standard 6mm/8mm concentric pots, I wouldn't bother.)

As for the noise, well, it's extremely noisy; but that's because Fender neglected to do any cavity shielding. Like, at all. Not even conductive paint. (I've sent them a few very uppity emails on the subject. No response to date.)

But if you just take ten minutes to lay in a copper foil shield (remembering to make a link to the bridge pickup cavity, if you have one), then it's very quiet and very musical. (To be honest, I don't bother with copper foil, I just use aluminium ducting tape as can be found for pocket change at any hardware store.)