wiring diagram for building a series cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    My amp has parallel outputs, and my cabs have just one input on them each. I am about to rebuilt one of my cabs from scratch, and would like that one to have the ability to be used as part of a daisy chain.

I can't find any wiring diagrams that show how to do this? It's a two speaker cab and the speakers will be run in parallel (2 16ohm speakers= 8 ohms) , if that helps.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I suggest you send a PM to James Hart. If I remember from some of his other posts, he uses a special cable to connect his 4-ohm Schroeders in series. I'm sure James can fill you in on where he obtained it, and you might not have to mod the cabs at all.
  3. You can do it with a special cable. Connect the + of the amp plug to the + of the first cab, connect the - of this one with the + of the second cab, connect the - of the second cab to the - of the amp plug and there you are. This makes the chain. The cable looks a bit wierd but who could give a damn as long as it works?!
    Don't use this cable with different cabs in the chain. One cab will interfere with the other and they will probably sound crap.
    If it's all the same speakers in the chain, that's fine.
  4. To clarify, what I'm understanding you talking about is NOT series. Most (all) cabinets that have dual jacks on them have the jacks wired in parallel, so when you daisy-chain them, they are the same as using the parallel outputs on the amp.

Inside the cabinet, to wire the 2 16-ohm drivers in parallel (giving 8 ohms for the cabinet), you run a wire from the + of the jack to the plus of each driver (one wire each). Another wire from the - of the jack to the of each driver. For dual jacks on the back, just wire the + sides together and the - sides together.

+ on jack 1 connects to:
    + on speaker A
    + on speaker B
    + on jack 2

- on jack 1 connects to:
    - on speaker A
    - on speaker B
    - on jack 2

I assume your other cabinet is also 8-ohm. Two of these in parallel will give your amplifier a load of 4 ohms - typically the lowest limit. An 8 and a 4 gives you 2.67 ohms, which is usually too low for the amp.
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I see your point; I may have assumed facts not in evidence. :smug:

But if the amp has parallel outputs, as the original poster stated, I'm not sure what the benefit would be. If parallel cab connection is what he wants, just connect both straight to the head. Sounds like a lot of work, for no real benefit, to create another parallel connection on the back of one of the cabs, and that's why I assumed he was trying to achieve a series connection.

Methinks we need more info here, tuBass. What are you trying to achieve?
  6. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    To put it simply, I don't plan on having this head forever, and as long as I'm building a cab I thought it would be a good idea to have a rig that could be used with an amp that didn't have two outputs, just in case.

thanks for the wiring tips, I thought it might be that simple, but I wanted to double check before I blew something up :D

I do have a 4 ohm amp, so the two 8 ohm cabs will be perfect.