Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring diagram for Fender Jazz Special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave120, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi everyone,

I've been unable to locate a wiring diagram for my Fender Jazz special. I need to replace the pickup switch in it, and while I'm in there I'm thinking that replacing the 2 volume pots may not be a bad idea as they're kind of loose and scratchy. I guess I can make my own diagram of it but the cavity is a little busy and so I'm wondering if anybody already has one?

2. check out fender.com. i assume you want an origianl diagram, and theres a diagram for every single bass on fender.com

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I asked this same question about a year ago. I don't think anyone had one to post. The Fender website did not show that particular diagram, maybe because MIJ (?).

Many similar diagrams, but not quite the correct one.

You might want to trace it before taking it apart, and even better, take some close-up pictures too.

Worst case scenerio, if you get lost while re-wiring, I can take a look a my JBS and help you-out as best as I can.

I'm assuming you have the Passive Jazz Bass Special and NOT the Power version.

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Yeah it's the passive version. Fender.com doesn't have the diagram for this bass. I guess I can make up my own diagram at some point and then post it here so anyone else with this bass can use it.

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I opened up the cavity today and made up a schematic for this bass. Once I get back to my apartment I'll make it look nicer in photoshop. The only thing is with the TBX control I don't have the places where the resistor and capacitor hook up because it's so messy in there I couldn't see it without taking it out which I didn't feel like doing. Maybe i'll do that before I post my diagram just so it'll be complete.

Does anybody know what kind of switch these things use? Is it a normal switch that I can just replace with a regular LP type switch? All my electronics seem good besides the switch which is noisy and crackles when i touch it or flip it, and also somewhat flaky and doesn't work unless I jiggle it a bit. Not exactly what I want to have happen to me on a gig!

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Radio Shack sells a contact cleaner/lube. My switch was doing the same thing, and also seems a little weak, meaning it doesn't have that solid "click" when you flip it over.

It's never popped out of place though.

Sorry, I don't know what type of switch it is. All I know is that I was looking for one when I first got my JBS and couldn't find one. Then I cleaned it and stopped my search for it.

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Ok I made up a diagram of my bass and modified a Seymour Duncan diagram to make it look nicer. It has everything except the resistor and cap on the TBX control because I couldn't tell where they are on it without taking it out. If you need that you should be able to find it somewhere.

The ground points are listed and you can choose how you want to arrange that if you're wriing from scratch. The way mine is, it has a wire running from the back of each pot and from the jack all to the ground point on the switch. The bridge ground and the grounds for each pickup are attached to the back of the bridge volume pot.

Hope this helps any of you that need this diagram.

Attached Files: