1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Diagram / Schematic Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ckevinwelch, May 24, 2018.

1. ckevinwelch

ckevinwelch

Dec 5, 2013
    Hey all, I am looking for a second set of eyes on this wiring diagram. I'm going for a P/MM setup with a five-way rotary switch and can't quite find anything like it. Any feedback would be appreciated. My main concern is the taking pickups out of the loop - whether to ground the positive wire or just leave it "open".

1: P solo
    2: P and MM in series
    3: P and MM parallel
    4: MM solo (series)
    5: MM bridge coil

Screenshot 2018-05-24 at 19.30.57.png

2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Second DPDT to find a MM series/parallel option, and/or P coils in series/parallel

I'm tempted to butcher my parts jazz to do something similar, including the P pickup.

3. So you want the MM coils wired in series mode permanently? (Except in pos 5 of course.)

A typical 5-way rotary switch will only have 2 poles, but you'll need a 3rd pole for the first four of your choices. You can get 4P5T rotary switches, but they are uncommon. Try e-bay. You'll get one out of China I'd think. And it will be pretty chunky so check its dimensions first.

FWIW, there's also 5-way blade switches with 4 poles. I think they are called "super strat switches" or something like that.

Or you could go with a cheap and common 3P4T rotary switch for your first 4 choices, then have a separate push-pull say, for the MM series/single switch.

4. ckevinwelch

ckevinwelch

Dec 5, 2013
    For the switch, I was looking at the 5 Position, 4 Pole switch StewMac has (that's where I got the image for the switch). Would that not work for what I'm doing?

In regards to your first statement - I thought that series wiring was the default "humbucker" style. Is that only for guitar pickups, and not typical for the MM?

Thanks for looking it over.

5. Sorry mate, I had no idea that stewmac sold 4P5T rotary switches. But yep, you should be able to make that work.

Typically MM humbuckers are wired in parallel. But there's no reason not to try your pickup in series. Infact it'll probably work better with the P this way.

I don't have time at the moment to draw a diagram for you, but you should be able to adapt this one from the last time I had to wire something similar.

Single-Series-Para-Single.jpg

Obviously my numbers are reversed from yours. And the switch is viewed from underneath. But I think you can work it out.

I'd join the MM humbucker in series permanently (red to white) at the 5th lug on that 4th pole. Then have it switch to hot or earth for the MM single coil setting. Hot if you want the red/green coil to be on, or earth if you want the black/white coil to be on.

ckevinwelch likes this.
  6. Oh, and for your two tone caps, you only need to use two 47n caps and one pole of your push-pull switch. Have the 2nd cap wired in parallel with the original one, and simply switch its other lead to earth when you want 100n. (Actually 94n, but you get the idea...)

ckevinwelch likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020