1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring diagram without pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by benjo09, Mar 9, 2009.

1. benjo09

benjo09

Jan 9, 2008
    I've got to replace a pot but seeing as I always use my P with tone and volume on full theres no point in me having pots. If I were to go without pots is this how I should wire it? Only thing I think I'm missing is a ground to the bridge but I don't know where this would go. The pickups are 1/4 pounders.

bass.jpg

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Having a cap in series with the pickup will actually reduce the amount of low frequencies, which I don't think is what you're after. Remove the cap, and just solder the black lead from the pickup to the ground lug of the jack (bridge ground goes here too) and the white lead from the pickup to the hot lug of the jack. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

3. Did you want the tone of the volume/tone circuit, or direct to output?

If you wanted the direct approach, just wire the hot from the pickup to the tip terminal on the output jack, and wire the pickup/bridge grounds to the sleeve terminal.

If you want the tone of the volume/tone pots on full, wire it like this:
    attachment.jpg

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's a good point that he might not have thought of. Removing the volume and tone controls will change the tone of the bass.

So if you want the same tone as with the controls, do the circuit above.

I rarely use volume for more than muting the bass when I'm not playing, but I use tone controls all the time.

5. benjo09

benjo09

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks for that :)

6. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Wouldn't this duplicate the pots in their full resistance position? I thought that all the way UP gave you 0 resistance, not 250K. A potentiometer is a variable resister that goes from 0 to the value of the pot (250K in this case) where the full resistance gives you no sound passing. If I'm off bass (pun intended) here, please tell me, that's what I always understood.

7. i use to have my basses with out any pots or controls... just the out jack...
    connect the white wire to the tip and black with ground to the sleeve and you are ready to rumble!!!

BTW if you wire your bass this way you will find out that no active or hot pu bass will be as loud... you will have the full spectrum of what the bass is capable of!!!

8. The OP said that he always runs his bass with the volume and tone all the way up, so there is no point in him having pots.
    He doesn't necessarily want the direct tone of running a pickup straight to output, he just does not want to have the pots on his bass. That being said, simply removing the pot drastically decreases the resistance from hot to ground, which brightens the tone considerably. If you wanted to maintain the "both pots on full" tone, you would need fixed resistors to make up for the resistance.

9. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

I just re-read and looked at stock wiring configurations... you're absolutely correct. I stated myself backwards... with a pot in the "FULL ON" position, there's the full resistance of the pot to ground. This is a great approach, one that I never ever thought of! WELL DONE!

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yup - good job, L6!!

11. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    my P Bass has dead pots, they don't work and I wish they did, lol

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020