Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Done!: EMG 35Js and BTS Control.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, May 20, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I can't believe it worked on the first try. I've had a BTS control sitting in my closet ever since I got the original EMG HZs taken out of my Schecter Stiletto Elite-4. This was done when I had ZERO knowledge of onboard electronics and not so great tonal knowledge.

I had augmented the bass before (a month ago) with another 9V battery bringing it to 18V. It didn't do much at the time. It did a lot more once the job was done.

Figuring out how to wire everything together and soldering with a Cold Heat kit is not the easiest thing to do. By the grace of God, I was able to wire everything up, align the knobs, and plug in.

It sounds excellent. The output is hotter (not distorted), the finger tone is a little bit more touchy, and the tonal variations ,for slap especially, is incredible. Trying to blend the pickups was hard before I added the control. Now the volume stays pretty much even and it's a lot easier to switch between tones!

All in all, an excellent addition to my bass. I didn't even have to pay anything for it since it came with the bass a year ago.

I wish I had the BQC Control with variable mid, but considering the BTS cost me nothing, I'm EXTREMELY happy.

-Eric.

P.S. - If anyone wants pictures of the installation and/or sound clips, I can post them. Just have to find a hosting site.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I had the BTC and BQC cuase I didn't want to be limited to running EMG's with them. Don't forget you've got the dips for treble knee frequency to tweak tone (especially for slap).

And personally, I found the variable mid useless. Hard to find a tone and even harder to get back to. I wired the OBP-3 with a variable and it was even worse in that respect cause you not only have boost/cut and frequency control for the mid, you also have a curve control for mids (stacked frequency/curve pot and seperate boost/cut pot).

Personally I'd rather have a bass with one tone that plays well to everything with no controls than a bunch of knobs and switches that yield a myriad of tones you have to sift through to get the two or three that are always used. So you're probably better off with what you have. Regardless, I'd go with the Aggie in that respect cause the variable mid is an option - so you could try it both ways and keep the one you want.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    +1

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I have played a good number of basses with variable mid. Some were great and some were useless. I don't think the variable mid is an option anymore as I only need it to get a really gritty tone. I plan on getting a Sansamp that I can turn on when I want a gritty, hard (sometimes distorted) tone.

I knew about the Treble Frequency Selector. This has a LOT to do with tone. I'm not sure what I settled on, but I tried them all and picked the one that went from a very jazz like pop (when turned on and slapping), to a nice smooth tone with just a bit of growl (when treble all the way off). The bass stands out a little better now and tones are much easier to get to.

Also, I've found that seperate tone controls (with no center detent) just muddify your tone. Turning Treble all the way down seems to retain a bit of bite still.

-Eric.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, I forgot, I can't remember if none of the BQC pots had a detent but I remember the variable mid didn't and that made it even worse to find a tone. Since the variable mid was an option on the Aggie and I didn't recieve it with a variable, I used an old pot from a Bart pre that had detents, but I think the rest of the pots that came with Aggie had detents. The BTC had detents. Detents are a definite plus for relocating tone.

A lot of guys don't ever mess with the EMG treble switches but I just wanted to be sure since you're into slap and their probably as useful for slap as anything.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I was quite happy when I read the schematics and saw that I could change the frequency. That way I could dial in just the right tone. I gotta say, with the 18V upgrade I did, I don't need to touch the treble all that much unless I'm going for a Flea-Finger tone with serious finger noise. It's pretty good for slap at the center and just a bit more when soloing.

BTW, any reason you didn't go ahead and buy those EMG HZs from me? I'd certainly be willing to lower the price.

-Eric.