1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring electronics to be Flat?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tomass, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Anyone here that can link me or tell me how to wire the electronics on my Ibanez SDGR to be flat. I just want a Volume knob, the main reason being is I like it flat and dont adjust it at all. Would i just replace the pots with the same Value resistor, or is there a more specialized way of doing it. Sorry i couldnt really search this forum or the internet as its hard to find specific information on it.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the question doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What's the point of altering the bass when it already does what you want?

3. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Hm ok this is a bit hard to explain. This bass has active electronics, it has a pickup blend, bass, treble and master volume pot. I only want volume control, and nothing else as i dont adjust anything else in terms of tone or pickup blend. I dont think i will be able to explain what i want to do, and therefore no body will be able to answer me.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    So you like playing it with one specific tone dialed in, and want your bass to have those settings more permanently?

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    You can get trimpots and replace the normal pots with those - you'll be left with a bunch of holes though, which isn't too attractive, unless you like it that way.

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    If you just want use of the volume control and to bypass the preamp it'll take a little work.

First, you'll have to unsolder the pickup leads from the blend pot. Take these and solder them lug shown in the diagram below. Second, unsolder the pickup grounds and solder them to the shell of the volume pot. Then take the middle lug of your volume pot and run a wire to the jack. Then take the ground from the volume pot and run it to the ground lug of the jack.

pickupwiring.

It's actually pretty simple, just don't do it unless you're fairly proficient with soldering.

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    BTW, this will only work if you like your pickups at center detent on your blend pot. Also, after doing this you can yank your battery.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Different approach, what would be the point of removing the controls? You don't have to touch them just cause they're there and what if by some remote circumstance you want to make an adjustment.

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    However, he likes the tone of the bass with the tone controls set flat. Bypassing the preamp will alter that tone because the preamp is most likely buffering the pickups.

I say just leave the controls flat.

The tone you like today might not be the tone you like tomorrow.

Why limit yourself to one sound? It wont fit every style of music, or even every song in one style.

Personally I change my bass and treble controls all the time, depending on what I'm playing. Sometimes during a song!

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Hmm, good point. It's also mentionable, if you do what I showed you're going to lose some gain from the activeness of your preamp.

11. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    if he insists... Open the control cavity of the bass. Then remove the knobs from the pots on the controls you don't want. Remove the nuts, push the pots inside the bass. Tape the shafts with electrical tape from the control cavity. Fit them neatly in the bass, and close the control cavity back up.

There.... only a volume control!

Another way... see what value the pots are. let's say they are 25K. Remove the wires from the pots (do one at a time!), keeping track of which was going to the center post on the pot. Get two 12K resistors (half of the pot's value) and wire the other two wires to the resistors, and then to the wire that went to the center post. If one post went to ground, wire the resistor to ground.

You just simulated a linear taper pot set in the center.

For the blend control, remove the wires that come from the pickups, wire the two hots together, and then to where ever the output from the blend went... most likely the preamp. Wire the grounds together to ground.

There you go. All set to center position, and the knobs now do nothing.

12. Find a guy familiar with electronics and ask him to make you a current-source-loaded JFET buffer (it's a very simple circuit). Wire the pickup leads connected to each other to it's input, volume pot to it's output. You'll probably loose some volume, but will get a bit cleaner sound. Having an active EQ set always flat degrades sonic quality with no benefits.