Wiring EMG Geezer Butler P/J to 3-way or 4-way Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattpnolan, Aug 1, 2016.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hello, all.

I have a Godin Shifter Classic (P/J), and I'm replacing the stock pickups to EMG Geezer Butler pickups.

The tricky thing about replacing the pickups (if I use everything that came with the pickups besides the third pot) is the 4-way switch the Godin Shifter Classic has.

The settings of the 4-way switch are:
    1. Neck (P) pickup only
    2. Neck (P) and Bridge (J) pickups in series
    3. Neck (P) and Bridge (J) pickups in parallel
    4. Bridge (J) pickup only

If I could find a lever switch with smooth action that I could just wire like a blend knob, that would probably be easiest, but I'm not sure that kind of lever switch is made...

However, if that isn't possible, my options are either a 3-way switch or 4-way switch.

The advantage of the 3-way switch is that I could just wire the pickups in parallel (unless I'm confused, that's the normal wiring for a P/J, right?), and have the other settings on the 3-way switch separate the pickups - and just lose the "in series" option.

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram that would help me know how to wire up either the 3-way or 4-way lever switch? I can look at how the bass is wired now, but I'd love to have something else to compare to, so I'm not messing anything up.

Thanks!

2. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Okay. An update to this, because I don't like to leave threads with no "resolution" or update...

I'm not going to wire the EMG's as they are designed. The only thing I may do is configure a kill switch so that something can utilize the lever switch "slot," but I'm still trying to decide on that...