Wiring EMG J's, BTC and passive tone pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Minimalist, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Where do I put the tone pot? Before or after the BTC? And what pot do I have to use? Thanks.
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    The BTC will replace your tone pot. Typical wiring is Vol-Vol-BTC. I have a P setup with a BTC and love it. Basically, no tone, you're adding an active preamp.
  3. Thanks for the reply, but I want to add a passive tone pot to the usual set up. Gives you a great option and can take the bite out of the EMG's. This way you'll get a very passive-like tone option. Best of both worlds. I did that before just can't remember how. :oops:
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Sounds weird to me since the BTC is cut/boost. But I would put it(BTC) before if you want to take the "bite" out.
  5. Yes but the characteristics are very different. ;) Especially when you set the treble frequency of the BTC relatively low.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What is the control layout going to be on the bass?
  7. Yes, and it's a stacked pot for b/t. I'm especially uncertain about the impedance of the tone pot. Does it have to match the EMG's or can it be a 250k pot?
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Assuming these are active J's, then yes. Use a 25K tone pot - you should have gotten this in the package with the pickups new.
  9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    OK, I'll reply in a few munutes.
  10. Yes, they are active J's but I bought them used and didn't get the pot's. Guess I have to order one. So, I just take the output of the BTC and wire the passive tone control like a regular tone control just with a 25k pot?
  11. Nino, hurry up, I want to go home. Just kidding. I always appreciate your knowledgeable replies.
  12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Please excuse my poor photo editing skills.

Rewire one of the 25K tone pots with the cap that came with the EMG you'll be ready to go.

13. You are excused. :D Looks like that's what I needed. Thanks.

Plus I used the wait to browse your site. I like the silver Jazz.
  14. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I guess you know you're talking about a tone pot skipping the preamp as opposed to a passive tone, since the EMG's are active pups with built-in preamp. No doubt, there will be some variance in skipping the preamp.

When I had the BTC I ran EMG PJ's. Never ran J's through a BTC and sold it before getting a pair but I just stuck a set of J's in a bass last night running straight to the jacks and it's suprising how passive-like they sound. I've done it before but I didn't remmeber them sounding like this. In fact I'm going to upgrade the review on them cause the review didn't have much info of any use when I reread it last night. I wonder how much different they'd sound through the BTC. The PJ's were pretty decent through it - more to my liking from what I recall than without it.
  15. Actually I don't get it. How can I skip the preamp, when the preamp is built-in?
  16. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Saw the thread title "Wiring EMG J's, BTC and passive tone pot?" and assumed you were wanting to have a tone control through both the preamp and skipping it, since they do produce different sounds.

When I saw the diagram it looked like one off the EMG site and I didn't see how that was going to accomplish the task but let it go at that.

I'm always curious about what guys are doing with their electronics but since I go straight to jacks, it's not something I'd probably ever use so I have a tendency to be sloppy about reading the details. I should probably just shut up most the time but if I think my imput might be of any use somehow I throw it out.

I think I understand now that you were distinguishing the "passive" tone pot as that being seperate from the EMG pot with the PCB.

Oh, the skipping the preamp comment was in reference to the BTC - which is a preamp and can be used in a base as such with passive pups.