Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring.. Fender Dlx Active V w/ Seymour Duncan?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by QTraXQ, Nov 8, 2003.

1. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I going to be putting in a Pair of Seymour Duncan Basslines SJB-5b and SJB-5n Pickups into a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V..Anyone have an Idea on how to wire everything and what the sound may be like???

SJB-5b and SJB-5N are Passive.. If anyone wants to try to draw a diagram, then have at it..

Schematic:
    More Info: :bassist: :(

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No need to draw a diagram. It's simple.

On the seymour duncan site, here's their wiring diagram for jazz stacks:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/jazz_bass_stacks.html

So, the black wire is 'hot' and green and bare wires are cold and go to ground. It's fairly common (as in your current pickups) for white to be hot and black to be cold.

In the first diagram you supplied, where it refers to 'black wire' from pickup it's referring to the ground wire - in this case it'll be the green and bare wired from the SD Jazz Stacks. Those will go where the black wires from pickups go currently. Where it says 'yellow wire from neck p.u and dynamic control', and 'white wire from dynamic control and bridge p.u' it's referring to the pickup hot signals - in your case this will now be the black wire from the SD jazz stack pickups.

So to summarise, wherever the black wires from your pickups are going right now, the green and bare wires from the SD pups will go. Wherever the yellow / white pickup wires are going right now, the black wire from the SD pups will go.

3. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Do you know What the Red and White Wires used for??

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Note, I don't own these pickups, just going by what I read on the SD website.

They're stacked humbuckers i.e. one coil on top of the other so with the red and white wires joined I'd assume that you'd have series operation i.e. one hot output. If you wanted parallel operation, you'd wire differently and have two hot outputs.