Wiring for a one knob P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-bottom, Aug 29, 2018.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I'm thinking about wiring up one of my P basses to be either a push/pull or concentric (volume-tone) one knob bass.

Does anyone have, or know of diagram on how I should go about doing this? And from what I've read I am looking at the 250k (for both V and T) pot. What kind of cap will I need?

Thanks for your help!

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Either way it looks like this...
    WD1P11_00_WB__73848.1487889037.500.400.jpg

It's just that whatever you decide on, both pots will be concentric. There's still two sets of contacts and the wiring is the same, they're just closer together. Oh, you'd only have to ground once so the black wire between the two right most pins would be unnecessary. 0.47uf cap.

3. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks for your help!

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What would the push pull do? That gives you an on/on switch, not a second pot.

5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    pull for tone push for volume

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    They don't work that way. Unless you want your tone to be only 0% or 100%.
    Push pull pots are a combination of a potentiometer and a switch. Not two pots that you can switch between.

7. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Ah I see. I'm glad that you pointed that out before I started to buy the wrong stuff :)

Thanks!

lz4005 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021