Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring for cabinets in series - pics?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by townsley, Jan 27, 2004.

1. townsley

townsley

Nov 10, 2003
    Portland, OR
    There have been a lot of posts regarding wiring up 2 or more speaker cabinets in series in order match total impedance/load with the amp. I know some of you have either made your own cable harness, or even created breakout boxes with special wiring. If you have created a cable or a breakout box, could you post a pic and/or describe your setup and also what types of cabs, what loads, and any other info that might be helpful?

I'm need to create a harness for my setup and am looking for some examples and inspiration. Any help greatly appreciated!

2. How many and what type of cabs and their impedances do you want to connect? What total impedance are you looking for?

3. townsley

townsley

Nov 10, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Well, personally, I'm going to be hooking up 2 4 Ohm cabinets to an amp with a 4 Ohm minimum load. I'm going to wire them in series for a total load of 8 Ohms. What I'm doing isn't important, though. I just want to see what others have done.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Here's a diagram for a series cable:

5. townsley

townsley

Nov 10, 2003
    Portland, OR
    zombywoof5050 - Thanks a TON. That's exactly what I was looking for!

6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    And I built a series box to do exactly what you want to do (2 x 4 ohm = 8 ohm).

I bought the box from Radio Shack.

[​IMG]

7. townsley

townsley

Nov 10, 2003
    Portland, OR
    That box is very nice! When you all are running cabinets in series, are the cabinets the same model or has anyone mixed, say, a 210 with a 115 or some other such dis-similar setup?