wiring for Stereo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Curtis M. Wise, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Is it possible to re-wire a Schecter Elite 004 (Diamond series)with active EMG-hz pups and an active (9) volt dual band eq. It's stock with a stereo output jack for the active system. Anyway to just hook up the pups to give separate output for a"stereo" type output? Would it have to be a passive system? Any ideas?:confused:
  2. What are you trying to seperate? If you want each pickup route to a seperate line you might be ok, I believe the HZ's are internally preamped, meaning you could take the hot signal line from the pickup, run it through any volume knobs and switches you want, then run it to a seperate output jack.

The big "if" above assumes that there is no active circuit after the pickups. If there is things get complicated.

If you just want to split your signal as it leaves the guitar you can wire another output jack in paralell to the installed one. Or just by a wire that seperates the signal, Stevie Ray used them in his rigs. stock guitar output split between 2 amps.
  3. Well....there is the rub. I think that the pups are easy enough to separate, which is what I want to do. But I think the active dual band eq comes after that. That's why the output jack is a stereo type. Schecter say's its for the active electronics not a stereo output. I've heard of a "deep" stereo male Jack but I don't know what that's about? So maybe gut the eq and just separate the two pups and run to separate amps?! I guess similar to the Ric-o-sound bit. I think this would accomplish more for versatility than bi-amping. Then I could use separate speaker boxes, effects,placement possiblities etc. I always wanted to do this with my old Ric 4001 but couldn't afford the hardware.
  4. yeah dump the pre amp. Lots of builders suggest that the best preamp is no preamp at all. run each pickup to a seperate volume knob and off to its own output jack.

Or keep the preamp attached to 1 pick up. And connect the other pick up direct
  5. I'm also into the audio/home stereo thing. Ever heard of the straight wire theory or straight wire with gain. Maybe a purist sort of thing. I would like any coloration of the sound to be on the amplification/pre-amp/eq side of things, not in the bass. I want the sound of the strings, wood, pups and etc. to come through and be able to amplify that sound. As far as sound modification I want it for recreational/experimental playing around. Why pay $2000.00 for a hand made bass and then chunk it up with a bunch of effects to change the sound?? I want the amplification side of things to be colorless, unless I add effects or eq to it. I want a broad sound stage and depth of sound field. I want sound coming from all over but being able to pinpoint each tone and nuance of the bass. And when you fire it up and hit the lowest note on the scale; I want jaws to hit the floor and punched in the belly, aches. Versatility, would be a must. Anyway I'm like thousands of players/TBer's across the world, seraching for the ultimate sound! Thanks for the info Gallient Knight!:)
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The tip connection of the stereo jack is being used to carry the signal, and the ring is being used to switch the batteries on or off.

If I recall correctly, the HZ pickups are High Z, meaning they are passive EMGs. If this is true, then you could toss the preamp and use the stereo jack for stereo output.

If the pickups are internally p reamped, then you will need to find another way to switch the batteries on or off if you want to use the jack for stereo output.

Whatever you do, don't run one pickup through the preamp and the other passively. Preamps generally buffer the signal and change the impedance. If you do not correctly match the impedances, you will have trouble blending the signals with good results.
  7. Thanks for the info, I'll look at the schematics again and see. I believe you're about the HZ's. Sounds almost too simple, I'll probably find some way to screw it up!