1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring for Treble/Mid/Bass boost/cut

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kicksnlicks, Oct 21, 2009.

1. kicksnlicks

kicksnlicks

Jun 11, 2009
    Hey all!

I have a new P-J in the making, but I'm stuck at wiring.
    Control-wise, I'd like Master Volume, Bass boost/cut, Mid boost/cut, and treble boost/cut with a 3 way switch unless anyone has any ideas to offer to the contrary (always welcome). However, I don't know how to wire it myself, and the builder is not familiar with tone boost/cut. Would anyone have a diagram demonstrating the above mentioned control scheme?

The electronic side of things is new to me, my apologies if I've made an obvious newbie mistake!

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    This requires an active preamp. My knowledge of the them approaches zero, but I believe that you'll just buy one with those things part of it. The Master volume I think can be a passive component but any boosting (and any cutting besides treble) can only be done actively.

3. I'll draw diagrams if needed, but something like this would be very specific to your preamp.

First off, the color code for the wires to the BMT controls will be different for every preamp.
    Second, some preamps are designed to work best with the volume control before the preamp input, and others are designed to work best with the volume control after the preamp output.

This type of setup is extremely common and basic though. You should be able to find a wiring diagram for your preamp without making any modifications to it. Just check the company's website.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd be wary of a bass "builder" who didn't even know how to put a preamp in a bass!

5. I just +1'd your last reply in another thread, but +1 again.

I see any "builder" that can't wire a dead simple setup like this and I'm walking straight out the door and finding another.

6. kicksnlicks

kicksnlicks

Jun 11, 2009
    The builder is a reputable (in my eyes) "hobby" builder who does excellent work at a great price. When I had first "explained" to him what I was looking for, my technical understanding of what I was wanting had some pretty big holes. In retrospect, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. A mistake born of ignorance that has since been corrected! Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction.