1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring for V/V/T/T?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lobster11, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I've just swapped a pair of Big Singles into a bass that already contained an active Bartolini 2-band preamp, and I've decided after some back-and-forth testing to yank the preamp and go passive. (It's a great preamp, but not for these pups in this bass.) Given that the bass already has a four-pot setup, I thought I'd go Vol/Vol/Tone/Tone. The Nordstrand folks have me straightened out on the correct pots and caps to use, but I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for a V/V/T/T arrangement. Can anybody point me to one, or explain how to modify a standard V/T or V/V/T wiring setup appropriately?

Also, if you have a better idea than V/V/T/T, I'm open to suggestions. One alternative that I've already considered is to include a series/parallel switch, but I've been advised by several folks that this probably isn't a good idea with the Big Singles, because (a) Nordstrand wires them somewhat differently for serial vs. parallel applications, and the set I have is designed for parallel, and (b) these things already sound so huge in parallel that serial wiring would probably cause a tear in the space-time continuum. Any other thoughts?

2. Check out a les paul wiring diagram.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IIRC -
    Follow the P-Bass wiring scheme for each pickup. So 2 pairs, independantly wired. Tie the center leg of one to the center leg of the other and then on to the tip of the jack. Make sense ?

Here's a link to Duncan's Std P-Bass
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_pbass

Note Duncan + is Black!

You could also add a 3 way switch for neck/combined/bridge by followingthe 2 humbucker and switch scheme from Duncan's site - you just have to remember that the wire coloring scheme is differnt.

4. That'll work too. ;)

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Actually, not quite -- sorry for my ignorance. (I'm pretty new to the wiring game.) Which center leg to which center leg? Then, what about the two grounds?

Any reason why I can't keep them completely independent -- without the center-leg-to-center-leg connection -- and just send both directly to the jack? That is, the two hots (from the volumes) would go together to one side of the jack and the two grounds (from the tones) together to the other side? Seems simpler and more direct to me, but is there some reason why your suggestion is preferable?

BTW, not being much of an acronymist, I had to Google "IIRC" to find out what it meant. I assume you don't mean "Interactive Illinois Report Card," right? :)

6. IIRC - If I Remember Correctly.

As to the wiring, center->center->output is electrically the same as what you suggested.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hello,
    1. Big single are wound like any single coil, there's no series or parallel. I think you're confusing them with the dual coil :)
    The fact is that those pups are already overwound and fat sounding, if you wire them in series it can get muddy. You can always try...

2. if you want the 2 vol to be always independent, you don't want to connect the center lugs together, but the outside ones.
    This is for a les paul, but it is exactly the same:

[​IMG]

disregard the switch and the 4 wiring pup.

M

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Lobster - you really ought to review a standard Precision wiring diagram first. That will explain how the circuit works for each pickup. When you're comfy with how that works, it's a matter of doing that for each side.

The Center Leg's of the Volume pots are I think correct to go to the tip. There are probably a couple of ways to wire this up but for a standard Vol/Tone, the pickup comes in on 1 outside leg of the vol pot. That outside leg feeds the outside leg of it's associated vol pot. The center leg of the tone pot goes to ground through a cap. The center of the vol pot goes to the jack. I don't think that makes the Vol's interactive - I'm assuming input on an outside leg, Maurillo is assuming input on center - I think we're basically doing the same thing. If you want to incorporate a switch - by all means - go for the LP diagram.