Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring from 8ohm to 2ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    gear list:
    peavey firebass, eden 410

My cabinet is 8ohms, and I'd like to wire it so it's 2. Is that possible? How would I wire it?

The firebass is rated at 275watts at 8ohms, or 700watts at 2ohms. I have never heard of the firebass (it is a peavey, after all) crapping out at 2ohms, and I feel I'm not utulizing my setup the way I should be. My cabinet is 540watts RMS, so if it were running at 700 there would be some overpowering but I have heard that such a thing is good, and I wouldn't push it too hard of course.

The amp farts out quite early, the protection button comes on anytime I hit a note harder than usual. I've seen bands play live with 8ohm cabinets and it happens to them too. I'm not in the financial situation to add another 8ohm cab, as much as I'd love to,so I was wondering how hard it would be to make this cab 2ohms. I'm fairly competent with wiring, I have done a few stereo systems in cars, so it will be easy for me to understand any jargin you'd like to spit out at me. Thanks guys!

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    There's a chance it might be. You'll have to check your cab.

IF it happens to have four 8-ohm drivers, it creates the 8-ohm cab impedance by wiring two series pairs (thus making the impedance equivalent of two 16-ohm drivers), then wiring the pairs in parallel, for a total impedance of 16x16 / 16+16, or 8 ohms.

*IF* this is so, you can simply rewire the cab so that ALL FOUR drivers are connected in parallel. Then you cab impedance will be:

1 / 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 2 ohms.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I wouldn't mess whit this. It would change the power transmitted to the speakers, they may not be capable of taking it easy, if you see what I mean... :meh:

I bet my bass you will burn your cab, and it's even very possible you burn your amp.

4. 4Saken

4Saken

Nov 7, 2004
    Philadelphia
    You can not hurt the cab by rewiring it! The Ohms rating will not effect the woofers and the only thing changing the ohms will do is reuce the amount of resistance for the amp so it can feed more power as long as your amp is two ohm stable and your woofers are the right ohms to wire down to that configuration and cand handle the amount of watts your amp will supply at 20hms everything will be just fine.

5. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
  6. You cansafely rewire your cab to 2 ohms if your drivers are 8 ohms using parallell connections. GO FOR IT! :bassist:

7. It's an 8 Ohm Eden 410 so the drivers are 8 Ohms each (assuming original drivers;)). All you need to do is wire all of them in parallel and you will get a 2 Ohm impedance. Right now, it's two series pairs in parallel. The amp will work just fine at 2 Ohms (like you said, it is a Peavey) and the amp power to cab power-handling ratio will be just about optimal.

8. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well...

You'll so impose a lot more power to the same speakers, and that seems ok for you all ? :confused:

Did I missed something ?

9. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    If the speakers are rated to handle the power, then what is the problem?

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    700w to a 540 w cab, it seems to me to be taking a risk. But well, why not.

11. It isn't a problem because there aren't really any circumstances where there would actually be 700W going to the cabinet. Even if the amp was hitting the full 700W on peaks, the average power going to the drivers would be much less than that because of the dynamic nature of music.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You can always turn down. As long as you don't fart the speakers outta the cab, it should be just fine.

13. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    thanks for all the great responses. It was always a consideration but I thought it would be met with people pointing out how bad of an idea it would be, but now I'm just kind of excited.

I don't know if it's all firebass's, but they seem to fart out very early. The speaker protection goes on when it seems to not be putting out much power. It messes with the sound a little, so if I had more headroom, I could eliminate the sound. I don't NEED 700 watts, but I could certainy use more than the 275 I'm sometimes getting.

I haven't looked at the actual wiring in over a year (I'm in Japan, I come back in twenty-something days, I can't wait to have amplified sound again!) but it sounds like a pretty easy switch, any diagrams or anything available? I'm kinda weary on the idea of messing around in there, but I think it should be worth it. Has anyone here done that kind of thing?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does your cab have a tweeter? If so it may have a crossover which complicates things a bit.

15. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    it does have a tweeter, one that hasn't worked since I got the thing

16. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
  17. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    haha, I thought I had read that in a different thread, I had been searching this topic and I guess I got confused :scowl:

18. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hmm.

Yeah, I've been considering doing this to my 8 ohm 4x10 Avatar, so my Peavey will be running at 450 instead of 170 (I think thats the number.)

But, it does have a tweeter/crossover/attentuator. How would that play into the whole scheme of things?

19. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    yeah, couldn't we just disconnect the tweeter wires and pretend liek it's not there?

20. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    But I like my tweeter. Well, sometimes.

It's good to have when I want to use it.