1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring help for a Jazz.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cyprus, Apr 13, 2010.

1. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    So not too long ago I decided it was time to learn how to wire pick ups. It seems like a valuable skill to learn.
    I ordered some cheap Dragonfire pickups to put on my jazz. I thought it'd be fairly easy to do, but I've hit a problem. :crying:

My original pickups had 3 wires (a red, a grey, and a white), but the dragon fires only have 2 (a red and black on the bridge, and white and black on the neck).
    Any suggestions on how I would go about wiring these?
    I'm assuming the red and white on the DF's are both ground, and I can see where those go, but the blacks are what's puzzling me Should I put them on the back of the pot, like the original grey's, or put them on the little extension metal thing like the whites?

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated!

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Red and White wires are likely the "hot" and the black wires are ground. Here's a diagram to make it easy to visualize.

[​IMG]

3. Is one of those supposed to be a neck pickup?
    You put bridge twice.

If so, blacks are grounds, red is the neck pickup's hot and white is the bridge pickup's hot, or vice versa, depending on which pickup was which.

4. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Woops, thanks for that line6man.
    Just fixed it.

5. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Okay, thanks a ton for that diagram. Really helped a lot.
    Was looking for one, but couldn't find one similar.

So, just to clarify, the blacks are the ground, and should go to the back of the pot, while the red and white are the "hot" and should go to each respective pots sticky-outty thing.
    I have that right so far?

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I have Dragonfires in one of my basses and you have the wire color polarities correct. you can wire it exactly like the SD diagram. the blacks get soldered to the back of the corresponding pot. then wire the white (bridge) and red (bridge) hot wires just like the white ones in the diagram. you should also get a better tone capacitor like a .047uf Orange Drop. I prefer .022uf Mallory caps because it has a warmer sound

7. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Capacitor?
    Totally... What's that? Sorry, I'm totally new at this. :(

Upon closer inspection, I'm thinking it's that little green candy looking thing? What's the advantage to different capacitors?

8. I disagree. Unless the actual value of the capacitor differs greatly from it's rated value/the actual value of the current capacitor in the bass, you won't notice any difference in tone.

What are you talking about?
    0.022uF is brighter than 0.047uF, not warmer.

9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

The "advantage" to different capacitors is that different values will cut treble at different frequencies.

The composition and voltage rating do not matter for a tone control application though.

10. Major +1 to both points.