1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring help needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basss, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I'm installing a Graph Tech Acousit-Phonic preamp according to this diagram and have no idea how to go about connecting the jack ring to the battery. The battery wiring harness doesn't have anywhere to solder a wire from the jack. I've sent an email to Graph-Tech but don't expect to hear back for at least a couple days... Anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Attached Files:

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    trs-jack.jpg trs-jack.jpg trs-jack.jpg

3. I'm not sure I understand, you're missing one of these?

battery-wire-connector.jpg

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There should be a wire connected to the negative terminal of the battery connector, no?

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, the black wire from that thingie is what goes to the jack ring solder pad.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The preamp has wiring jacks that you plug instead of soldering. Here's a pic of the battery connector. The black wire is connected to one of these jacks. This preamp usually uses a special input jack that allows stereo pickup operation and allows the battery jack to be plugged into the preamp board. This installation I'm doing is with a standard TRS jack so it's a bit different.

So I guess they are asking me to yank the black wire out of the connector and solder it to the ring on the input jack? I just want to be sure because I don't think I can get the wire back in if that's not the case. IMG_20171009_163957321.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Don't yank it, snip it leaving enough on the plug to re-attach if you have to. But I'd wait to hear from Graphtech before doing anything irreversible.

8. If that gets plugged into the board, then there should be another wire from the board to the ring of your output jack.

This part of the drawing confuses me, because shouldn't the wire/pin labeled RING be going to the Ring of the output jack?

upload_2017-10-9_17-6-2.png

9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Thanks all - I snipped the black wire and connected it to the jack. Everything's working as it should.
    KBD- there's a jack with wires comming out of it that gets connected to the board which is labeled. - since I'm using a different output jack :smug: the wire that would go to the ring now goes to ground - don't ask me why - it did end up working

Killed_by_Death likes this.