1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring help please-Duncan designed jazz pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ModulusQ5-122, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Excuse my ignorance please but I'm trying to install an Audere preamp in my jazz and there are 4 wires coming from each pup. I've installed a few of these preamps in other basses and have only had the typical 2 wires (hot,common) coming from each pickup. Here is a picture. Im assuming red=hot and white=common and the black possibly ground? Can I just splice that into the bridge ground? What is the aluminum braided wire for?

image-1630251131.

2. Ok i hookd it up red=hot white=common, left the bare wire not connected and spliced the black wires to the bridge ground. Plugged it in and seems to be working fine. Can anyone verify that its hooked up correctly? I dont want to mess up the preamp.

3. Ok after playing a little more something just didnt sound right. Duh... I had hot and common backwards. The black wires are just grounds coming from screws in the pickup cavities. The bare wires I just left disconnected and electrical taped them off so there is no interference.

BOOM!! There's that Audere sound I know. And it's super quiet.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else out in the future.

4. btbraden

btbraden

Sep 9, 2005
    Oroville, CA
    the bare is most likey a shield

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So white is hot? I thought red was hot. And did you solder the black ground wire to a ground somewhere?