1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring help with active bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Aug 6, 2012.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Ok, I have an active preamp, a Carvin, and the J45 Bill Lawrence pups I just got in. My circuit board in my bass I have S, B & R for each pickup. Shield, Ground and Hot I'm assuming since the thickest black wire (from pickup) is going to S, Black to B, and Red to R.

My new pups I have Ground (Blue and Black) and White (Hot). I'm assuming....Blue and Black (from pups) to B, and White to R. And just skip on putting anything in the S/Shield spot? OR...should I wire one of my grounds to Shield (S) and one of my grounds to Black (B)?

Any help here?

2. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Chucko58 had a realllllllllllllllllllllllllllly old thread posting how to skip the S (Shield) hole in the Carvin pre-amp...which I followed. Then I wired both grounds to the ground (B) and my white from pups, which was hot, to the (R) hot on the board.

I am posting this for anyone in the future who might be stuck in this same situation. If it helps one person replace their Carvin pickups...then it was worth this being here.

As far as soldering goes....You can do it farely easy if you have the right type of tip. You need a curved, very sharp soldering iron. Mine was bent that way accidentally and then I grinded it down with a dremel to a super fine point like a pencil.

This REALLY helped getting in there and soldering a circuit board that is vertical. I also found out that I was most comfortable with my solder iron in my left hand and the wire held with needle nose pliers in my right hand, which is my main hand compared to what I thought was the opposite of what I would have preferred.

It went really smooth. If you want your bass to come alive...I highly recommend Bill Lawrence J45-L pickups from Wilde Pickups...not Bill Lawrence USA.

Good luck people.