Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring idea for my Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beav, May 21, 2005.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Tell me what you think of this idea for wiring my Jazz.

1st hole - a stacked volume pot (neck volume on top and bridge on the bottom)
    2nd hole - an EMG BTC (stacked active EQ)
    3rd hole - a tone control.

I would also want an active passive switch. Would this be overkill or a great way to have maxium control and a fun project?

I also have two questions. First, can I wire up a DPDT switch to totally bypass my active eq without running the battery down? Second, will a regular tone pot work the same running an active signal through it?

Does it look like I'm over looking anything?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds fine. Personally, if I only have three control holes and have cut/boost eq I'd probably choose blend/vol/stacked b/t over the config you say. But there's nothing 'wrong' with what you propose. I would definitely use the config you say if I was using a boost only preamp such as aguilar obp-1, where you can't cut treble and a tone control is very handy.
    It's always handy to have, although it's usefulness to you depends on how often you want to use passive mode. As a 'get out of trouble' switch, it can be very handy - especially if you're battery is hard to get at to change during a gig.
    With most setups, as long as the cord is in the jack the circuit is active and battery power is being used. I've never done it myself, but it should be possible to wire another switch to make the circuit inactive and not use power. Can't think of a way of doing it with a single switch though.
    It will work, although you might want to use a different impedance pot if you wire it after the preamp in the signal chain. Or use a regular impedance tone pot and wire it before the signal hits the preamp.
    hmmm, how big is your control cavity? If it's a regular J cavity, it could get *very* tight in there - esp with stacked vol pots and dpdt switches. Assuming you don't have a rear cavity, you might not have room for battery without routing work.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've already got the battery in a hole under my pickguard, which is one reason why I want to have a switch to bypass the EQ if the battery were to die at a bad time.

Thanks for the help David!