Wiring ideas for a J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 24, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, my bass collection is going through a major overhaul and I've decided to move forward with my Warmoth/Sadowsky project. All I have to do is buy a J body, as I already have a neck, bridge and pickups. I just have a question regarding the electronics.

I plan to go passive first, then maybe add a preamp later. My question is: Is it possible to have a Volume/Blend/Tone setup on a passive bass or am I stuck with a Volume/Volume/Tone setup?

Also, and this is a tentative idea, What are everyone's thoughts on bypassing the electronics completely and wiring the pickups straight into the output jack.

Another idea I've seen is to just have a series/Parallel switch.

FYI, the pickups are a couple of Sadowsky stacked Js.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, volume/blend/tone is possible. What you'll need to do is replace the bridge volume pot with a dual 250K blend audio pot.
  3. Yes, as already mentioned having a Vol, Blend, Tone setup in a passive bass is fine...one of my J type basses came wired that way stock. Personally I wasn't a big fan of it though, I like having the absolute flexibility of having Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone - ie four knobs, and an individual Vol and Tone for each pickup. I feel that I have the most control over what I dial in that way.

In an entirely conflicting configuration, I also have another bass with no knobs - an SX Fretless Jazz, which I've hard wired directly to the output jack. I like this option immensely on this particular bass, and it works well if you always play with both pups full on. Any EQ'ing can still be done at the amp, but the output of both pups will always be 100%.

All comes down to personal choice in the end ;)