Wiring in new pickups / knob question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sanctum, Feb 19, 2003.

1. I want to put new pups in my Epiphone Explorer - yea its a cheap bass, but I like playing with it.

Right now it has two volume knobs, a tone knob, and a pup toggle switch. I pretty much always play with both volumes full on, so I'm wondering if its possible to wire the volumes in series so one volume knob controls both pups, still use the toggle to switch between them if needed, then use the other two knobs for a treble/bass controls on a preamp, such as an OBP-1.

Whatcha think?

Oh and if anyone has any good pup suggestions ... I was just planning on putting in EMG's.
  2. emg offers a stacked bass treble control to go where your existing tone pot is
    so you can keep the toggle and the two vols
    or vol blend
    where will you put the battery?
    assuming emg active
    the little tone pot amp thingy will work with passive non emg pups!! a bonus.:) **
  3. dont wire your pickups in series if you want to use them separately
    when you flick the toggle you will kill the out put
    wire them parallel if you want to use just one vol.
    so you will get full vol control on 1, 2 or both
    but no individual vol control which may be better to keep for balancing out your sound
    its the switch that is superfluous.
    i am getting interested in that little tone thing above as well for my bart jazz pups:)
  4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    That thing is the EMG BTC control. I have one in my Carvin 6 string on the bridge pickup and it's really great! The top knob controls the treble, and the outer knob controls the bass ( +/- 20 dB I think...).

It also has two dip switches on it that you can use to control "knee" frequency of the treble control.

It works fantastic, highly recommended...