1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Issue with Avatar (Photos)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Nov 22, 2006.

1. So, I have been having a hard time with my Avatar B210 cabinet. I recently purchases an Ampeg B2r head to go with it, and a few weeks later the cabinet begins to get really muddy and distorted, at moderate levels. Also, in order to have the "farting" inaudible, i have to play notes higher than A. In the past,with my old head I was able to apply higher volumes without any farting/muddiness, however now with a head thats the same wattage(at 8 ohms), I get this farting.

this all being said,I was concerned and was going to test each speaker to see if one was indeed blown. however, when i opened up the grill and went to disconnect the first speaker, it was disconnected completely from the wiring and plopped onto the ground!

[​IMG]
    photo of the disconnected wire

[​IMG]
    photo of where the other speaker is connect too.

I do not see any outlet where the other speaker's wire is suppsoed to go. I know very little about the wiring of a speaker cabinet, and would appreciate any help/assistance you guys can give me. Should I e-mail Avatar and inform them of the issue? What should i do? :|

2. Yes you should contact Avatar--two reasons

1. They know the wiring the way they intended it to be.

2. There may be a warranty thing that they can do

Good luck

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes, by all means, get in touch with Dave.

There are a number of possible solutions because we don't know if you have an 8 ohm cabinet or a 4 ohm cabinet.

In addition, Avatar used to run the woofers full range (meaning that the woofers would be connected directly to the jack). However, the newer crossover includes a Low Pass section for the woofer, so the woofers connect to the crossover, not the input jacks.

4. From the picture it would appear that the wiring lugs are still attached to the speaker terminals which would imply that the wires broke off at the speaker. Ideally you'd need to crimp or solder new lugs onto the wires and reconnect them to the speakers where the old lugs are. Any decent repair place could do this in a matter of 5 minutes. Call Dave and see what he suggests. I know he'll send you the lugs but you'd need to get them attached to the wires...