1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stshipley, Oct 13, 2009.

1. stshipley

stshipley

May 5, 2009
    So I got very tired of my sticky bass knobs and inferior electronics in my Franken P/J bass, so I switched out the mini pots with full size 250K pots, and but a 0.47 Orange drop cap on the tone control.

I'm pleased with the results, but there is a problem. Neither volume seems to go to zero. When I turn both volume controls all the way down, I have about 50% volume on both the P and J pickups. I'm going to guess that when I solo either pickup, I'm getting 50% of the other as well.

I fully admit to being a bit of a newbie in the re-wiring game, and I'm not the worlds best solder iron operator. I'm going to guess that I've done wrong is very simple to resolve, but I don't know what it is.

I used this as my wiring guide, though these are not Seymour Duncan pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass

Can any one share their expertise with me?

-STS

2. Are the pots properly grounded?
    The volume control kills the output by placing the pickup's hot directly to ground when you turn it all the way down.

If you have it properly wired, there is no reason for it not to work, unless maybe the pots are defective.

3. stshipley

stshipley

May 5, 2009
    Looking inside the bass, it would appear that I have deviated from the Seymour Duncan diagram a twice. The black lead on the P pickup goes to the top of the J Volume pot (rather than the top of the P volume Pot).
    Also, the jack ground goes to the P Volume pot instead of the Tone Pot. I'm going to guess that you'd say to switch these to match the diagram and I should be OK.

By the way, side question - what is the bridge on your black P/Jazz bass in your avatar?

-STS

4. That shouldn't matter in the slightest.
    As long as everything is properly grounded, you can connect the pickup and jack grounds to any grounded point.

The bridge is a Gotoh 201.

5. stshipley

stshipley

May 5, 2009
    Line6man,

I took your advice to heart about seeing if it was properly grounded, and sure enough, the two volume pots had gaps between the various elements soldered to the top of the pot. Adding a little solder to unify the connections solved the grounding issue and the pots work fine now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!!!

-STS