wiring issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wallygator, Oct 10, 2011.

1. In need of some assistance. I have a used washburn xb120 with 2 soapbar passive pickups that seems to have a problem.

it has both volume and tone knobs and a 3 way toggle switch, which i assume controls the pickups.

the problem is sometimes when i switch the toggle the bass conks out and i have to play with the switch a while before it comes back on.

what it the problem and how do i fix it?

thanks

2. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    I would assume a faulty switch? Remove the switch and touch the wires, if it changes the curcuit correctly, then there's the problem, otherwise something my not be grounded correctly, causing it to cut out.

3. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Are you talking about low frequency cutting out of the whole of your sound out-put ...(unclear)
    IF you are dealing with low frequency issues:

1.) First of all get the Washburn schematic for your Bass. If that is not available obtain the schematic for most any Bass with the same setup (2 passive with 3 way toggle).
    2.) Take the back off the Bass & examine the wiring: get a soldering iron.
    3.) Look for obvious problems (loose connections, etc) and then begin looking closer for cold soldier joints. The toggle switch can get messed up if the switch bar is pulled to the side- widening the contact area of the switch. However, the fact that your low freq is affected may have to do with a poor connection to or from the pot (that controls low freq).

If the whole of your output cuts, you should trace all of the connections beginning from your switch (if that is the ONLY point where your instruments cuts out). Look at the contacts of the switch-bar as well as the connections from the switch. Often these things can be corrected by simply tightening the contact or re-soldiering a cold solder joint. but it may be that low quality parts were used to such a degree that the best thing is to replace them. They cost very little if bought from an electronics supply; but you must have a schematic. You should also trace the pick-up leads just in case they were put in sloppily. Remember to start tracing at the plug because if the whole of the sound cuts then it could be shorted through the toggle. All connections will make a loop aside from ground.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021