1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring Issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Collin James, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Collin James

Collin James

Jan 9, 2016
    So I recently bought an OLP bass used for real cheap and wanted to mod it into something cool. I went out on the internet looking for recommendations of what I should get and I found Nordstrand recommended. So I ordered the 5.2MM pickup along with the 2B+ preamp to turn it into the 70s style Musicman with the 2 band boost. The wiring diagram I was sent for the preamp has some extra parts I don't have on my bass (extra pots for additional volume and blend knobs, a volume pot with a PCB board attached. I'm rather new to this wiring thing but I believe I wired in the EQ pots correctly, I'm just rather unsure about what to do with some of the wires that are supposed to go to the PCB board. Is there a way around this? Do I need the pot with the PCB board or is this avoidable for what I'm trying to do? Everything seems mostly according to the diagram but I am getting no signal so far. I attached a picture of the wiring diagram from Nordstrand and a picture of what I have wired so far. I'd really appreciate some help with this! Wiring Diagram. Guitar Guts.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

The pot with a PCB you mentian is actually a push pull pot. Its a switch built into the put to push pull the active circuit on and off. Not a pcb at all.

I can’t see all that you did there but if you have no signal at all it seems the pickups are currently shorted to ground somewhere. Best to begin again except for the eq controls which look fine.

For one thing That dark blue wire needs to be grounded to fire the active circuit up. You've currently got it in the pickup hot lead. So you'll need a push pull pot of the correct value, 250k, or ground it directly but then you won’t be able to turn off the preamp and go passive. Until you get the pp pot, you can temporarily ground that wire to get it up and running.

Your jack is wrong. Look at the diagram. Three lugs used. That’s so when you pull your plug out, the battery disconnects and doesn't drain when not using the bass. Gotta fix that.

The tone controls look right.

Since youre a newb, easy to begin at the jack ground and follow it back to check that nothing that isnt indicated on the dia is grounded.

Running one volume is no problem but you need a switch for active passive options and a push pull is good because you don't need to drill a hole for a separate switch. Less than $10.

murphy likes this.