1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring jack stereo jacks for mono help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Charling, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I'm pretty handy with audio but when it comes to electronics of any (even the simplest) sort I am flumoxed..

weve changed the way we wire our studio and we would now like to have a mono headphone mix coming off of each aux send rather than a stereo mixes coming out of the stereo phones outputs on the desk, my question is regarding how i would resolder the connetions to work like this on the mixer and wallbox ends.

At the mixer end, would I solder the two hot wires of the existing 3 wire (stereo) cable to the tip of a new TS jack plug (male) and the ground to the sleeve... and then

make sure the two hot wires at the wall socket end go to the tip and ring connectors on the female jack socket, with the ground to sleeve?

would that result in a mono signal reaching the headphones in the live room? also, if i needed to plug a TS jack (male) into that socket would it work as well as a standard mono signal?

would I be inviting any signal loss or potentially dangerous side effects at any point in the signal chain?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, I cant believe that only a half a decade ago I made a circuit board using logic chips and a 555 timer but now I can't even fathom out this in my head, "sigh"