wiring mods for dimarzio model j's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jimmy ray, Feb 3, 2004.

1. a little while back when i was looking for new pu's i found this thread on the model j's, and if i remember right it said that you could wire each pickup with a series/parallel because of the way they're each indviduallyi humbucking. i tried a search, but couldnt come up with any answers. i'm wondering is if it is possible to set each pu in series/parallel, and if thats the case, if its possible to make a master series/parallel switch? i've got the j's wired in normal parallel for the time being, and boy howdy do they kick ass! i'd like to know if this mod is possible or if i've gone a touch overboard before i put them in for good. thanks for your help, and hopefully soundclips & review in a few days
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can't find them, email me later, I'll dig around for the instructions on wiring Dimarzio Model P and Model J. I bought the P pickup from a guy who kept the J from the set and left me the directions, so I can scan them for you if you need.
  3. thanks for your replies guys, i looked on the dimarzio website and didnt see any for the mod i had in mind, i emailed them and i had a diagram in like 5 minutes, good service, great pickups, even better price, i think i'm in love. as much as one can love a set of magnets anyways. thanks again guys.
  4. Radio Shack stocks the DPDT mini-toggle switches you need for the mod. I run my MIM P-bass in series/parallel with a DP146 Will Power Middle pickup.
  5. i'm getting ready to wire up some model j's in the same fashion as jimmy ray. however, i'd like to do it with a single master volume like such:

master volume
    series/parallel bridge
    series/parallel neck
    series/parallel master for neck & bridge together

what would be the best way to accomplish this with the three pot openings of a standard jazz? i'm willing to drill holes in the control plate for toggle's but would rather do it all with pots. i may even get rid of the tone pot to use that hole if needed...

thanks in advance.
  6. hey all, i was just researching this topic and came across this:

dingwall has a 4 postion rotary switch availble that is perfect for:

bridge/neck parallel
    bridge/neck series

any ideas on how to use this in my quest?
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    So, if you don't want to drill holes you'd have to use dpdt pots. There don't appear to be any easily available blend pots with dpdt, so you'd probably have to do it with two master volume pots (with dpdt) and a tone pot (with dpdt).

The neck pot push/pull would engage neck series/parallel. The bridge push/pull would engage bridge series/parallel. The third push/pull would engage master series parallel.

One slight tricky thing is that you'd need a linear taper pot with dpdt for the tone control to get the usual behaviour you'd expect from a tone control. I can't think of where I've seen these, the dpdt pots I've seen have all been audio taper for use as volume controls.

Alternatively, if you are willing to forego the tone control then you could just use a third audio taper volume pot with dpdt and have it as a dummy pot that does nothing except engage master series/parallel via push/pull.

The dingwall switch is new, I haven't seen the wiring for it so I can't comment on it.

Of course, if you're willing to drill holes then you have other options. Why don't you let us know what you're willing to do.

8. thanks david,

well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. i'd thought of your way before you had posted, but but still prefer a single volume control. i'm willing to do anything i need to the control plate, but don't want to do any routing of the body.

thanks for the response.
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so in that case install two regular two dpdt mini switches for series/parallel selection on neck/bridge pickups. And then have a push/pull dpdt volume pot for master series/parallel selection.
  10. just to update this thread, i just got off the phone with dingwall (nice guy by the way) and placed an order for the 4 position rotary switch. so the final master plan is:

bridge series/parellel via mini toggle
    neck series/parellel via mini toggle

and then the 4 way rotary switch for:

bridge/neck parallel
    bridge/neck series

and of course the master volume pot.

i'll update this next week when i get all of the parts in and wired up.

thanks for the again for the suggestions!
  11. sorry to butt in on your thread but I would just like to ask one quick question (2 actually)

MUST I use DiMarzio's push/pull pot for just a simple series/parallel mod, or can I use a different brand? it says in the diagrams to use it but Im about to order some other pots from a diff website and it just keeps shipping costs down. it wont bother me to drill a hole in the pickguard either (I have an SX Jbass)

also, what kind of extra wires will I need (assuming I'll need more wires)?

12. no, you don't have to use dimarzio pots....many other push/pull pots and toggle switches will do the same thing.

you should be able to get any wires you may need from the place that you're ordering the pots from.
  13. well, i used a buddy's digital camera when he was over here. i won't be able to get pics until i come across a camera again.

that being said, you're right, it's tight! as a matter of fact i had to chisel out some wood to get everything to fit. which isnt't a problem to me...every bass i own is a player's instrument....no museum pieces in my collection!

the toggles weren't the problem like you would think though. it was the dingwall 4 way rotary switch that was a little bit too wide and needed the extra room to accomodate it.

also, it should be noted that i used 250K mini pots for the volume & tone to clear up some extra room for the toggles.
  14. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    So if you, say, have an Ultra Jazz in the neck (same side by side dual coil design as the Model J), and you switch it to series, would that be closer to a P sound that normal J/J series? It seems like it might be...one pickup neck with series. Any experience/conjecture? I was planning on doing a normal series mod, but this might be better.
  15. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Maybe I'll get a 5-way PRS-style switch and go: neck, bridge, both in parallel, neck in series, both in series. Might be sweet.
  16. yeah, that would be a slick set up. to be honest though, i get the most P like tone with both model j's toggled to parallel at the pick up level and then with both pick ups on together in series.
  17. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Nice job! That's a lot of function to cram into the J cavity. I'm glad you're happy.
  18. For those who know about the Dimarzio ultra jazz... I know they are individually humbucking, so does that mean I can wire each pickup in series and parallel by itself? What are they wired as from the factory?