Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring my J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Justin V, May 2, 2002.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just got a Duncan Hot Stack Jazz pup last night (neck position only).

I'll be installing it tonight with my dad. Is there anything I should know before messing with the wiring. Is there anything I should be careful of? This is my first time doing any mods to my bass, so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Work in a well-ventilated area, and wear goggles, if you have them.

Clean solder is happy solder.

Heat sinks are your friend. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to active electronics.

The nice thing about wiring is it's hard to screw up anything permanently. You can always just resolder the connection.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    yup. everything superduck said but i wanted to stress the heat sink. they look like, metal alligator clips without the "teeth" and rubber handles. you can get them at radio shack. clip this between the part you want to solder and the sensitive electronics.

just make sure you wire everything up the way it was before. draw a picture of where all the wires go if that helps. it's easy. you'll do fine!

steve

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    We just finished about an hour ago. It all went pretty smoothly. The new pup sounds great. Thanks for the advice guys, this was my first modification to either of my instruments so I was nervous about messing anything up.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Glad to hear it all went well!