1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring my Jaguar Bass project...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Achtane, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Hey, well, this has been a long time coming but my Jaguar refinish is on its way to completion. My plan is to toss the preamp and wire it passively. However, I'm adding a Rickenbacker HB1 (humbucker) between a set of Dimarzio Model Js. I want to set it up so the three switches are neck/middle/bridge on-off, and the former active/passive switch becomes the series/parallel.

Here goes, forgive me.

-Setting up all three pickups so they can be switched between series/parallel...wait, can this/would I even want this done? Won't the J pups sound better parallel and the HB1 series? Would I then be better off disabling the HB1 and use the Js if I want to switch between series/parallel? ...this question is a train wreck.

-About the volume pot -- since by default it is one volume, one tone...is there any reason why I couldn't use a stacked volume pot and have it wired so the J pups use their own control and the HB1 uses the other? I'm concerned about balancing the output of the pickups and this seems like a good way to manage it. Do they even make 500k stacked volume pots?

Does this sound needlessly complicated? What am I overlooking?

2. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Whoo! :eek:

I would keep the J's like they are and add the HB1.

So it would be:

Neck switch = neck switch
    Bridge switch = HB1 switch
    Series/parallel switch = bridge switch

Volume = volume for J's
    Tone = volume for HB1

Preamp switch = serial/parallel for J's
    Treble wheel = tone for J's
    Bass wheel = tone for HB1

The Fender parts list shows the treble and bass pots as 500K.

If you want to add more to the volume/tone control panel, there is room.

IMAG0079.

3. Ohhhh, I didn't know you could use the wheels in that way, I thought they were some special type only compatible with the preamp. That sounds like a good way to go...

Thanks. What's the switch next to that mini pot on yours?

4. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    My controls there are volume, distortion, tone, and a preset bridge tone on/off.

I set the bridge pickup for equal volume to the neck pickup. This gives me lots of highs when I want them but also gives me a lot of finger noise. I could use the tone control to round off the highs but I only wanted to roll off the bridge pickup.

I installed a 500K trim pot and a .047uF paper-in-oil capacitor attached to a switch. I tuned the trim pot until the finger noise just went away and put the control plate back on. Now I can flip the switch for full signal or no finger noise, and with the low end intact the two single coils still work as a humbucker.