1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring mystery, need help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sandu, May 13, 2010.

1. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    I bought a noname onboard preamp with an integrated piezo buffer a while ago, prewired but with a missing pot and switch. Fortunately, I found a small pic on the web showing the original state of the preamp, and here comes the mystery:

In the pic, the switch is connected to the preamp via 3 wires. On the preamp, they correspond to points labeled P, GND and M. GND is obviously ground, judging by the label and the wiring. I don't know what P and M are, what the switch does and whether it's a 2-way or 3-way switch or whatever. I assumed P and M stood for Piezo and Magnetic, which would mean that the switch is 3-way, toggling between piezo, piezo+magnetic and magnetic. However, common sense and Gibson guitar wiring schematics tell me that there should be a 4th wire carrying back the blended signal from the switch in case of a 3-way switch.

I want to hear some opinions from more experienced people before I start experimenting (I'll start as soon as I decide on a piezo solution). Here's the only website I found it on: http://www.artmusicdf.com.br/circuitobaixo.html and here is the pic
    [​IMG]

I'll also post more photos of the actual preamp I have if required.

2. It's a switch on a preamp as opposed to a switch directly in line with the circuitry so it could work differently to the gibson type you are thinking of.

I don't speak spanish (or Brazilian?) so I can't really follow the website and that picture is a bit on the small side to really make anything of.

Bigger pictures might help, but why not email and ask for an instruction sheet?

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Isn't it Portuguese in Brazil and not spanish?

Besides, I think that's an Artec pre......

4. Don't know, not a languages expert, tho they aren't tooooo different :p

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, I am pretty sure that's an Artec or an Artec copy....

6. I had a nosey on the website, couldn't find anything similar.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Me neither, however, If the page from the OP is translated, it shows alot of Artec pre's.

8. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
  9. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    Yeah, I managed to find that one by accident, I was searching with google images I think. I had it open for 4 hours before looking at it, because I watched a couple of movies:mad:. If I'd have known I was sitting on the answer...

It's quite smart actually. I didn't think of it, but I had a feeling it might have something to do with connecting to the ground. I blew it off quickly, apparently too quickly:D. Apparently it mutes either one or the other (piezo or mag) by sending them to the ground, or at least I think that's what's happening.

Thanks for the help guys. Indeed it looks like an Artec copy. I may find more information among their schematics.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's it exactly.

lots of piezo/mag blending preamps do it that way.